The Hunger Games Mockingjay

The Hunger Games Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

Summary (From Back Cover)
"if we burn you burn with us"
Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But she's still not safe. A revolution is unfolding, and everyone, it seems, has had a hand in carefully laid plans - everyone except Katniss.
And yet she must play the most vital part in the final battle. Katniss must become their Mackingjay - the symbol of rebellion - no matter what the personal cost.

Review
There's this rule. You've probably noticed it, and it's that sequels suck! Now, this rule is more appropriate for film rather than books however, there are occasions when it also applies to the written word. Where the author hasn't spent as much time perfecting the story lines as they did in the first book. This, unfortunately, falls into that category. Don't get me wrong, it's defiantly worth the read if you've read the other two books but at the same time I couldn't help being disappointed. I wanted to be able to write this was an epic conclusion to an exciting series but I can't.

The book picks up with Katniss being introduced to the rebellion she's - unknowingly - helped build. Peeta's still stick in Precedent Snow's slimy grasp and the rest of their world is falling to pieces as the citizens of Panem prepare to fight back. I'm not going to lie, I'm a little surprised it took them 75years to get up the courage to tell the officials that they can't kill their kids anymore, but who am I to judge?

One of the main things I was disappointed in with this book is the way in which Collin's kills off her characters. I won't tell you who, but trust me you won't be able to guess either! And that's because they don't make sense. I have no problem with authors killing off character's, I think it's a necessary evil to make the world seem more real. After all, you're not got going to have a full blown rebellion without a couple of casualties. However, it seemed that she chose these character's for the purpose of shocking the reader rather than because it was vital to the story. They were sloppy kills that, in all honestly, let the book down. It deserved more thought than what it got.

Of course there's also a conclusion to our little love triangle and again I think the ending was sloppy and unsatisfactory. This book had so much potential and it was almost upsetting to read it, it felt rushed.

However, there was one good thing to come out of this book. One that I was never expecting, I no longer hate Katniss. Now, those of you who have read my other reviews will know that I've always had a problem with this particular heroine, as she can come across annoying and selfish, but in this book I can finally get behind her. I can finally stop wishing that someone would blow her up. Which, I hate to admit, I had hoped that on more than one occasion.

I know this isn't the most complementary review, and it's really not that bad of a book. But I think as I am a fan of the series I just found it upsetting that when I closed the book I didn't feel like it was properly resolved. I still had unanswered questions. It's brilliantly written, as always, but it left me feeling a little frustrated. I could have done with another couple of chapters to fill in some of the blanks. Fingers crossed that the movie adaptation is better than the book! They have been thus far, and I hope that it continues to get better and it corrects some of the fatal plot flaws that happen in this instalment of The Hunger Games.



There's no official trailer for the Mackingjay films so I thought I'd share this little gem with you. It's just some info on the upcoming films, but the presents is so enthusiastic it's kind of funny.




If you haven't done so already check out my reviews for the previous THG's books

The Hunger Games     .     The Hunger Games Catching Fire

No comments:

Post a Comment