City of Ashes

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

Rating: 2.5 out of 5


Summary (From the back cover)
Haunted by her past, Clary is dragged deeper into New York City's terrifying underworld of demons and Shadowhunters - but can she control her feelings for a boy who can never be hers?

Review 
Before you go any further, do NOT read if you haven't read the first book as I will be dropping serious spoilers. 

Okay now that's out of the way, City of Ashes is probably my least favourite out of the series. I've tried to figure out why this is, and the only thing I can think of is it just wasn't as exciting as some of the others. Let me try to explain that better. 

With this book you get a deeper look into Simon and Clary's relationship as well as Simon in general. He's becoming a much more integrated part of the paranormal side of the story, not just Clary's sarcastic best friend. In fact you get a better look at the Downworlders in this instalment, and the inner workings of the Clave. In general I think my problem with it is it just seems to be a lot of setting things up and dropping little clues that will only really come together in the next book.

Now for all of you who have read the first book (which should be all of you, if you're still reading after I told you not to then you only have yourself to blame) we now know that Clary and Jace are brother and sister. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to stop Jace from wanting to do unspeakable things to her. Which of course leads to two character's fighting with their feelings for each other and trying to find a way to live with the fact they've fallen in love with their sibling. Although by the end of the book even I was rooting for them. Team Clace!  

The one thing this book doesn't disappoint on though is it's sarcastic wit! As ever the character's a sharp lipped and amusing from start to finish. My favourite quote from the whole book has to be this one liner from Jace...
"I make rude gestures at nuns."

Overall this book was a little unsatisfying, however important to the series it may have been. It just wasn't as gripping as I've come to expect for Clare. 
The third instalment, City of Glass is my favourite (I may have said that before), so do keep reading! 


No comments:

Post a Comment