The Boy in the Smoke

The Boy in the Smoke by Maureen Johnson

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

Summary (via Goodreads)
On a cold night, Stephen Dene went to the Eton boathouse to perform a desperate act. But someone stopped him along the way, sending his life in a new and decidedly strange direction-leading him to London, to two new friends and to a world of shadows and mystery.

Review
There are two ways I can review this book. I can either give my opinion on it as a stand alone or I can tell you what it adds to The Shades of London series. Now if I was to review it as a stand alone I wouldn't be able to give it more than a 2 out of 5 because the story itself isn't exciting enough to grab hold of the reader and make you want to turn the page. HOWEVER, as part of the series I loved it! It gives you a glimpse into our favourite ghost-fighting policeman and makes the events at the end of The Madness Underneath all the more heartbreaking. So, what I guess I'm saying is that if you haven't read at least the first Shades of London book then don't bother with this short eBook as its not going to do anything for you.

That being said I HAVE read the series so this is what you get... You find out how it came to be that Stephen can see shades. You get a small insight to the devastating family relationships and you get a little creeped out at the same time.

Being as its only a short book I won't go into too many details as I don't want to spoil it. Johnson has produced a book that will keep fans of the series going until the third instalment of the series is released. Recommend to anyone who has read The Shades of London books.




If you haven't already check out my reviews for The Shades of London series thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment