The Hunger Games Catching Fire

The Hunger Games Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Rating: 3 out of 5

Summary (From Back Cover)
Katniss Everdeen survived The Hunger Games. Now the Capitol wants revenge.
Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark are still alive. Katniss should be relieved, but now these are whispers of a rebellion against the Capital - a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.
As the nation watches Katniss and Peeta, the stakes are higher than ever. One false move and the consequences will be unimaginable.

Review
For those of you who have read my review of The Hunger Games you'll know I have a disdain for Katniss and unfortunately this instalment doesn't change my opinion. However, there are so many new character's introduced in this book I can almost overlook my disliking of the winy main character. 

The story line for this is why I rated it lower than the first. As far as the actual writing, it's easy to read and has it's moments, although I think that - spoiler alert - sending Katniss and Peeta back into the arena was - in some ways - a lazy way to move the story forward. The story itself if set just after THG's finishes and takes a look at Katniss and Peeta's life after the games and the way they cope with their new celebrity status. It also follows Present Snow as he tries to rid himself of his biggest problem - Katniss and the rebellion she seems to ignite. 

The character's for me are this books saving grace. I do like THG's trilogy and I think it's entirely because of Collins vivid character building. In Catching Fire you get a better look at some of your favourite character - Effie's back - as well as the newbies. Look out of Finnick - I think I'm in love - and also Mags. 

Then there's Snow. We got a glimpse of the sociopath in the first book however, in this (and the next) instalment he will truly make you blood run cold. I don't think I've read a character that I've hated as much as Snow. He's diabolical and disturbing on a level that I've not seen before. After reading these books just the mention of a white roses gave me the creeps. 

Overall it's a half decent second novel, although I would have liked to gotten something new. The problem I had with this book is there were a lot of moments where I was getting a serious case of deja vu and it it's until the end or maybe even the next book that you see the point to any of it. But saying all that if you loved the first book then you'll like this one. Keep reading because Collin's does tie up the series well in the final book, Mockingjay.



Move Trailer





If you haven't check it out already that have a gander at my review for the first Hunger Games book. 

The Hunger Games

No comments:

Post a Comment