Fracture

Fracture by Megan Miranda

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Title: Fracture
Author: Megan Miranda
Publishing Date: January 17th 2012
Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing
ISBN: 0802723093


Summary (From Back Cover)

By the time seventeen-year-old Delaney Maxwell is pulled out of the icy waters of a frozen lake, her heart has stopped beating. She is officially dead. Then she starts breathing... The doctors are mystified. But Delaney knows something is very wrong, even though outwardly she has completely recovered.

Pulled by sensations she can't control, Delancey now finds herself drawn to the dying. Is her brain predicting death or causing it? Then Delany meets Troy Varga. Is Troy a kindred spirit who somehow understand her weird and frightening gift? Or are his motives chillingly more sinister...


Review

And as I drove, I felt random pulls. Faintly left. Faintly right. Behind. Ahead. I couldn't escape it. Death was everywhere. It was creeping around the outskirts of my world, like it was searching for me. Like it knew I had escaped and was trying to reclaim me.

If I had to sum this book up in one word it would be heartbreaking! Even the happier moments - which admittedly where few and far between - were soaked with tears. It was an interesting book that by the end had me hook-line-and-sinker, but it took a while to draw me into the characters. It took time for me to connect with the story and I think this is why...

The book starts with Delancey falling through the ice into the lake. It starts with her in hospital, fighting for her life. Now usually when a book jumps straight into the plot I'm gripped, but with this it felt more like being thrown in at the deep end - no pun intended - when you can't swim. There wasn't enough time to develop that connect between the reader and the main character so that we felt the right amount of sympathy towards her. And if I'm honest, it wasn't until the second half of the book that I actually felt like I needed to know how it ended. Saying all that though, this is the only fault I could find with Fracture. It has a descriptive writing style and a handful of characters that have deep routed histories that spill into every page. Not to mention the way in which Megan Miranda twists the story in directions I would never have imagined - well in the second half anyway - and breaks your heart several times over.

This is where I'd usually go into the plot a bit but I think the summary above covers pretty much everything you need to know, so I'm going to move straight onto the characters.

Delancey, newly seventeen and as far as I can tell completely normal... that is until she dies. After falling into the lake nothings ever quite the same, being drawn to the dying will do that to a girl. In a lot of cases where the point view is from a seventeen-year-old girl they can come across winey and irritating, but I didn't mind Delancey too much. It was more the fact that I just wanted her to see what was staring her straight in the face. Decker! He so obviously loved her, from the first chapter where he's sitting by her bedside you can tell he has real feeling for her. But she keep pushing him away. She keeps leaning towards Troy.

Troy... all the way through I had this uncomfortable feeling about him. That something wasn't quite right. I don't want to go into too much detail about him because he's a huge chunk of this books mystery. Just keep an eye out for him and I think it's one of those character's where you'll have to make your own mind up.

Character to watch out for? Delancey's mum. I'm still not 100% sure what happened where or why she acts the way she does throughout the book... maybe you'll have more luck figuring her out. So yeah, if there's one person to watch it's her, purely because if you don't I think you'll end up just as confused as me!

Overall I did really enjoy this book. In fact I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. The only problem I had with it was the fact that it took a while to latch on. I'd recommend this to pretty much any YA fan! And if you're one of those readers who puts down a book if it doesn't draw you in within the first couple of chapters, then I implore you to keep reading. Fracture fractured my heart and I'm excited to see what happens next!


PS. This was me pretty much all the way through Chapter 14 - 17






No comments:

Post a Comment