#5Questions



Author Bio (via Facebook)

I grew up in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, the daughter of school teachers and the second of four girls. Later I married Greg McQuestion, which gave me a really cool last name and (eventually) three kids - Charlie, Maria, and Jack.

I love to mix things up, which is why you'll find I've written novels for adults (A SCATTERED LIFE, EASILY AMUSED, THE LONG WAY HOME), books for teens (FAVORITE, LIFE ON HOLD, the EDGEWOOD SERIES), and two for kids (CELIA AND THE FAIRIES, SECRETS OF MAGIC RINGS).

Today I live in Hartland, Wisconsin, where you'll find me happily sitting in my office typing away on my laptop as I work on my next book.



Title: Edgewood
Author: Karen McQuestion
Publication Date: 21st August 2012
Publisher: Karen McQuestion

Wandering the dark streets at night is Russ Becker’s way of dealing with his relentless insomnia and the angst of life. But that changes forever the night he witnesses a strange astronomical event, then discovers he’s developed incredible superpowers.And he’s not alone. Three others in his town—sexy Mallory, arrogant Jameson, and mysterious Nadia—have had the same experience and acquired intriguing powers of their own. As if Mallory isn't special enough with her good looks and high IQ, now she can control peoples’ minds. Jameson thinks he’s the coolest because he moves objects with his thoughts, and shy Nadia struggles to understand her new empathic abilities.At first the four secretly relish their newfound gifts while keeping them hidden. However, things get serious when they learn they're being hunted by an organization that wants them for its own nefarious purposes. Russ has always picked his battles wisely, but when the bad guys threaten his family, they're about to find out they messed with the wrong teens. What transpires will change all of them in ways they never imagined.





1. How did you get into writing?


In third grade, I decided I wanted to be a writer after my teacher read out one of my stories aloud to the class. I'll never forget the reaction of the other kids when they heard I was the one who'd written it. They were so impressed, especially since I was a shy girl who didn't say much. That experience, combined with a love of reading and a good imagination, clinched it for me: I wanted to be an author.

As an adult, I did some freelance writing for magazines and newspapers, but had trouble getting my fiction published. Finally, in 2009 I self-published on Kindle and surprisingly, sales took off in a big way. Today I have a total of eleven books. I've written for all ages, and my books are published in e-book, paperback, and audio, and in five different languages.

2. When starting a book how much of it comes straight from your imagination and how much is research?


I hate to admit this, but I'm a little lazy when it comes to research so I try to avoid it as much as possible. For the most part, my fiction comes from my imagination combined with my life experiences and things I've heard or read. Everything else I research online.

3. Who is your favourite character you have written and why?


I've written a paranormal YA series called the Edgewood series, about four teenagers from a small town who sneak out one night and witness an incredible astronomical event, then discover afterward that they've developed superpowers. One of them, a girl named Nadia, kept her face hidden by her hood to cover burn scars. Originally Nadia was just a supporting character, but she was so intriguing she wound up having a major role in the series. So the answer to your question is that Nadia is my favourite character, because I underestimated her.

4. Do you go into a book knowing how you want it to end?


Not entirely. I like to have a satisfying ending, one that answers all the questions. I also like the end of my books to be fairly happy or at least hopeful. So I usually have a vague idea, but the actual details aren't always clear until I get closer to the finish line.

5. What 5 books would you recommend for your readers?


The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Aiffenegger
Coraline by Neil Gaiman
Delirium by Lauren Oliver



No comments:

Post a Comment