Don't Look Back

Don't Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Summary (via Goodreads)

Samantha is a stranger in her own life. Until the night she disappeared with her best friend, Cassie, everyone said Sam had it all-popularity, wealth, and a dream boyfriend. 
Sam has resurfaced, but she has no recollection of who she was or what happened to her that night. As she tries to piece together her life from before, she realizes it's one she no longer wants any part of. The old Sam took "mean girl" to a whole new level, and it's clear she and Cassie were more like best enemies. Sam is pretty sure that losing her memories is like winning the lottery. She's getting a second chance at being a better daughter, sister, and friend, and she's falling hard for Carson Ortiz, a boy who has always looked out for her-even if the old Sam treated him like trash.
But Cassie is still missing, and the facts about what happened to her that night isn't just buried deep inside of Sam's memory-someone else knows, someone who wants to make sure Sam stays quiet. All Sam wants is the truth, and if she can unlock her clouded memories of that fateful night, she can finally move on. But what if not remembering is the only thing keeping Sam alive?

Review

Where to start, where to start! There's not much I can say about this one without giving the game away so forgive me if I'm a little cryptic - just pretend you're in some 1940's spy film or something.

I've never read anything by Jennifer L. Armentrout but I think I might have to make my way to her special corner of Amazon because I loved the way this book was written! The plot had a couple of holes but the writing itself was effortless. It was gripping and enticing, even once I'd put all the pieces together it still kept me moving forward. As if maybe - just maybe - there was something else still to come. For the record, there was.

Okay what can I say about Sammy without saying too much? She's a little dense at times, don't get me wrong it's completely understandable - with her having no memories and all. But jeez, what did she need? A big flashing neon sign spelling it out for her? I liked her, honestly I did, but it felt like all her common sense had gone out the window along with her memory.

And onto the boys... Carson vs Del! There was a rather obvious winner but at the same time there are so many twists and turns in this book everyone's a suspect and you're never 100% sure you're not rooting for the bad guy. I went back and forth so many times on Carson I didn't know my left from my right. But what I will say is that I was happy with the outcome of this little boy battle.

Character to watch out for I here you ask? I think this time I'm going to go with Scott, Sam's twin brother. He was my favourite character out of this whole ragtag group. There was just enough sarcasm to his caring and he makes for a really interesting read. And then there's the fact he's probably the only person you don't think could be a raving physco at one point or another!

Armentrout is VERY good at leaving clues within the subtext and even better at misdirection. Seriously, if I didn't have sure a suspicious mind I don't think I would have figured it out! Overall I really enjoyed this book and even though it dragged on a little in the middle it was a good read and I'd recommend it to pretty much anyone. A great thriller for a teenage audience.

2 comments:

  1. You figured out the ending?! I didn't see it coming from a mile away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, but I was reading it with some other girls and none of them got it. And to be fair I thinkI only got it because I always pick the weird ones... I was reading a book the other week and was certain the killer was the best friends mum... turned out to be a hitch hiker. haha.

      Delete