#5Questions



Author Bio (via Facebook)

Ruth Warburton grew up on the south coast of England in Lewes: a small town with a long history. After leaving Lewes she studied English at the University of Manchester, and there developed a fascination with Old English and Middle English texts. While researching A Witch in Winter she found herself returning to them, in particular Beowulf and Le Morte D'Arthur, and seeds from these mixed with ancient Mesopotamian demons, Voodoo spells, Tudor superstitions and 15th century witch hunting guides, to create the Winter Trilogy


Title: Witch Finder
Author: Ruth Warburton
Publishing Date: January 2nd 2014 
Publisher: Hodder Children's books
ISBN: 1444914464

Summary (via GoodReads)

London. 1880. In the slums of Spitalfields apprentice blacksmith Luke is facing initiation into the Malleus Maleficorum, the fearsome brotherhood dedicated to hunting and killing witches.
Luke's final test is to pick a name at random from the Book of Witches, a name he must track down and kill within a month, or face death himself. Luke knows that tonight will change his life forever. But when he picks out sixteen-year-old Rosa Greenwood, Luke has no idea that his task will be harder then he could ever imagine.



1. How did you get into writing?

I've always written - ever since I could talk I was telling stories to my sister and friends, and ever since I could write I started jotting them down (and later typing them on the family computer). I can't remember a time when I wasn't making up scenarios in my head.

2. When starting a book how much of it comes straight from your imagination and how much is research?

It depends on the book and the setting. Most of my books have a premise and characters that are pretty much straight from the imagination, but the background comes from research - my latest series is set in Victorian London so I did a lot of reading and planning around the historical background. I love both parts - and often elements of the research trigger my imagination to go down different lines with the plot and characters so it all feeds into the same pot. 

3. Who is your favourite character you have written and why?

Ooh... hard to say. I have a really soft spot for Bran in the later Winter books who is such a bastard. I love characters when I can really let rip!

4. Do you go into a book knowing how you want it to end?

Usually I have an ending in mind but I have to get there before I can see whether it fits or not. 

5. What 5 books would you recommend for your readers?

Hmm... I've done a lot of "recommended reads" lists over the years so this time, rather than guessing your tastes, I'm going to say get yourself over to twitter, check out the #UKYA hashtag and take your pick!


If you haven't already check out our review of Ruth's A Witch in Winter.


No comments:

Post a Comment