REVIEW: Six of Crows

SIX OF CROWS
by Leigh Bardugo


Pages: 491 paperback
Publisher: Indigo
Publication Date: 29th September 2015
ISBN: 9781780622279


Summary 

Criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker has been offered wealth beyond his wildest dreams. But to claim it, he'll have to pull off a seemingly impossible heist: 
Break into the notorious Ice Court(a military stronghold that has never been breached) 
Retrieve a hostage(who could unleash magical havoc on the world) 
Survive long enough to collect his reward(and spend it) 
Kaz needs a crew desperate enough to take on this suicide mission and dangerous enough to get the job done - and he knows exactly who: six of the deadliest outcasts the city has to offer. Together, they just might be unstoppable - if they don't kill each other first. 

Review

Okay so I'm starting this review with a confession... I have never read a Leigh Bardugo book before. I know, I know, it seems impossible these days but for some reason they have never made it to the top of the TBR pile. HOWEVER, back in October I went to an event in Manchester because one of my favourites Rainbow Rowell was there and I got my first inkling of how awesome Leigh's books really were. So fast forward to now and I fully understand the hype! Six of Crows blew my mind and I could not put it down! I fell in love with the characters and the world Leigh created and I am now ready to pack up my life and move to Ketterdam!

Lets not get ahead of ourselves though, for those of you yet to read Six of Crows these are the basics; Six of Crows in told from multiple POV as a rag-tag group of misfits take on an impossible heist. Their mission if they choose to except is to break into the impenetrable Ice Court, retrieve a very important hostage and make it out again. Throughout the book Kaz and his crew are encountered by a whole host of unimaginable obstacles, one of them being each other, as they try to complete their task and bring home a reward that will change their lives forever. 

Now for the fangirling! Kaz, Inej, Nina, Jesper, Matthias and Wylan are all incredible characters that have just as many weaknesses as they do strengths, which in hand makes them completely and utterly and imperfectly perfect! When I first heard about Six of Crows it felt very much like it was all about Kaz but when you read it its about every single member of this crew and the struggles they go through to get to the end of the book. While reading I couldn't help but smile and then cry and then roll my eyes and maybe once or twice scream but that's because the story got to me. It got into my head and my heart and I needed to know what came next. These characters WILL get into your heart and that is the sign of a great story but also a great writer. 

I'm not going to go into all that much detail about the story because I think the thing I loved most about Six of Crows is that fact I could never predict what was going to happen next! The plot twists and turns so often you sometimes wonder which way is up and the surprises come out of nowhere which keeps the reader on their toes from start to end. 

Overall I couldn't get enough of this book! If you haven't read it yet then what are you waiting for? It has everything you could possibly want from a book, it has adventure, star-crossed lovers, dark undertones, humour and a story that will blow your mind. I can not wait to read the second book Crooked Kingdom and get a whole lot more of Kaz Brekker!

No comments:

Post a Comment