REVIEW: Frogkisser!

FROGKISSER!
by Garth Nix


Pages: 384 Hardback
Publisher: Piccadilly Press
Publication Date: 28th February
ISBN: 9781848126015
Received From:  Piccadilly Press/Hot Key Books

Summary 

Garth Nix is on hilarious form as he spins his very own fairy tale, featuring Princess Anya, who, with her loyal dog, must embark on a terribly important (capital Q) Quest to acquire the ingredients for a reversal lip balm, the vital item needed to change a frog back to a prince . . . oh, and save her kingdom from her villainous step(step)father. 

Review

Okay so this is actually a tricky one to review because there were moments that I really loved but at the same time I felt I was a bit old to be reading it. This is my first Garth Nix book and I can see why everyone adores his books, it had a sense of whimsy about it that constantly kept a smile on my face and even though I felt a little old reading it I couldn't help but notice the nostalgia it bought when reading Nix's take on a fairytale. 

Frogkisser! Is the story of a princess, a princess that instead of being saved by a prince leaves her kingdom behind to become her own savour. Princess Anya's quest starts out as a simple one, to save her sisters "true love" and undoing her evil step-step fathers sorcery. However, once outside of the castle she discovers her quest is much more complicated, it isn't simply about one spell but hundreds and to save her kingdom Anya will have to find the strength to lead her people. 

I am a massive fan of fairytales, I love the magic and the romance and the hidden messages. However, I will be the first to admit that they have one rather obvious trait that connects them and that would be the prince coming to rescue the princess as for some reason she can't do that herself. The thing I love about Frogkisser! is that there are many princes's and many knights but it's Anya who has to save herself. There is a strong message to this book and that's quite simply no matter how hard things seem you have the strength to be anything you want to be if you fight for it. 

Overall I did enjoy this book a great deal and it's one that I think a lot of younger readers will enjoy! There is a strong message, there is magic and whimsey and an emphasis on friendship that made me smile from start to finish. Yes, okay, I struggled a little with the writing style as it is for a younger reader but that doesn't take away from what a good story it was. It is a beautiful book and I recommend it completely. 








No comments:

Post a Comment