REVIEW: Crooked Kingdom

CROOKED KINGDOM
by Leigh Bardugo


Pages: 536 paperback
Publisher: Orion Children's Books
Publication Date: September 27th 2016
ISBN: 9781780622309
Received From:  

Summary 


Kaz Brekker and his crew have just pulled off the most daring heist imaginable. 
But instead of divvying up a fat reward, they're fighting for their lives.  
Double-crossed and badly weakened, they're low on resources, allies and hope. 
While a war rages on the city's streets, the team's fragile loyalties are stretched to breaking point.  
Kaz and his crew will have to make sure they're on the winning side... no matter what the cost.


Review

"Crows remember human faces. They remember people who feed them, who are kind to them. And then people who wrong them."

AAAHHH!!!!! I've read Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom back to back and now I have no idea what to do with my life. I do not make this statement lightly and I have NEVER made a statement like this before but I think this duology is of Harry Potter standard. Yep there we go, I said it, Leigh Bardugo is (in my humble opinion) a J.K Rowling level story teller! I have no regrets... but I should probably stop swooning for a moment and get on with it so here is my review;

Crooked Kingdom follows straight on from the end of Six of Crows with our group of misfits making an enemy of one of the most powerful men in Ketterdam. They start the book separated, defeated and lost in they own city but it isn't long before Kaz puts his devious brain to use and comes up with a plan that might just be his most ambitious and dangerous yet! In Six of Crows we saw the crows take on an impossible task but the dangers they came up against are nothing in comparison to what waits for them on the streets of a city they call home. There is more adventure, more risks, more heart break than ever before and their luck might just be running out. 

"Ketterdam is made of monsters. I just happen to have the longest teeth."

Like with my review of Six of Crows I'm not going to go into great detail because I stand by what I said before, that Leigh Bardugo has a way of taking me by surprise! I can not predict what is going to come next and this book is no different. Crooked Kingdom is a story about friendship and loyalty. These characters will do whatever they have to for each other and even when some seem to come across as selfish you know their hearts are always with their crew. 

Overall this book is insanely good! I didn't think it could beat Six of Crows but (at least in my opinion) it was more captivating that its predecessor. Crooked Kingdom BROKE MY HEART! We got to see more of the characters we had grown to love, seeing sides of them we didn't know existed. It is the perfect ending to an incredible story and I couldn't recommend these books more if I tried! 


"No matter how broken we were, we'd fight our way out together - knives draw, pistols blazing. Because that's what we do. We never stop fighting."



No comments:

Post a Comment