Review: The 100

THE 100
by Kass Morgan



Pages: 336 (paperback)
Publisher: Hodder 
Publication Date: 29th August 2013
ISBN: 9781444766882
Received From:  Hodder via Chapter5


Summary 

Ever since a devastating nuclear war, humanity has lived on spaceships far above Earth's radioactive surface. Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents -- considered expendable by society -- are being sent on a dangerous mission: to recolonize the planet. It could be their second chance at life...or it could be a suicide mission. 
CLARKE was arrested for treason, though she's haunted by the memory of what she really did. WELLS, the chancellor's son, came to Earth for the girl he loves -- but will she ever forgive him? Reckless BELLAMY fought his way onto the transport pod to protect his sister, the other half of the only pair of siblings in the universe. And GLASS managed to escape back onto the ship, only to find that life there is just as dangerous as she feared it would be on Earth. 
Confronted with a savage land and haunted by secrets from their pasts, the hundred must fight to survive. They were never meant to be heroes, but they may be mankind's last hope.

Review

"Maybe, here in the ruins of the old world, they could start something new."
First of let me say that The 100 (book) is NOTHING like the TV show. That's not to say it's bad, it's just different and if you want to read the book to find out what's going to happen to our favourite characters later on in the series then it's not really going to work! 

The story itself is well thought through and jam packed with plot lines and character developments. The multiple points of view gives us a chance to see how The 100 are coping and evolving on Earth but also to the evens unfolding in space. Each chapter’s flits between the past and the present showing how each character ended up in confinement and, subsequently, on the drop ship speeding towards Earth. Will the hundred survive on a planet that's been inhabitable for the past 300 years? And can the people left in space afford for them to fail? Things are about to get messy. 

We still have some of the regular suspects, Clarke, Wells, Bellamy and Octavia however they're not quite the same characters we've come to know and love. There are also a couple of newbies thrown into the mix. Glass, Luke and I'm going to say Wells too... because he is not, in any way shape or form, the same character I'd got to know and I’m not sure I like this version of him.

Bellamy is without a doubt my favourite character! He is so protective of his little sister and having chapters told from his point of view only increases my love for him. I can't help it; I'm a sucker for a bad boy with a soft side. 

Overall I did really liked this book. I think that because I had seen the show first it could, at times, feel a little slow but I think that's because the TV show covers so much in every episode. The book would have to be Game of Thrones length to cover even a per cent of the show. However, in general, ignoring the TV show tie in, it's a fun and fast read and I'm super excited to start Day 21! I need more Bellamy!!

1 comment:

  1. I've heard so many good things about the show. I sort of want to start watching it, but I also want to read the book. I guess I'll just have to treat the book and the show as two totally separate things. I must get to know this Bellamy character everyone loves so much!

    ReplyDelete