REVIEW: One Dark Throne

One Dark Throne
by Kendare Blake


Pages: 464
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: September 19th 2017
Received From: HarperTeen





The battle for the crown has begun, but which of the three sisters will prevail? 
With the unforgettable events of the Quickening behind them and the Ascension Year underway, all bets are off. Katharine, once the weak and feeble sister, is stronger than ever before. Arsinoe, after discovering the truth about her powers, must figure out how to make her secret talent work in her favour without anyone finding out. And Mirabella, once thought to be the strongest sister of all and the certain Queen Crowned, faces attacks like never before - ones that put those around her in danger that she can’t seem to prevent.





When I read Three Dark Crowns I think I gushed about it for about a month! The world in which Kendare Blake creates pulls you in and the story keeps you on tender hooks until last page is closed... and I have to say One Dark Throne is no different! I was so excited to get a copy of this and I read it within a couple of days. The three Queens are just as kick ass and awesome as I remembered and the story just kept getting better and better. 


One Dark Throne picks up where Three Dark Crowns finished, with the three queens, Katherine, Mirabella and Arsinoe about to start their Ascension Year. The purpose of this year is for the Queens to kill each other until only one is left to rule over Fennbirn and after the events of the The Quickening it is set to be a very exciting and dangerous year indeed. With the hurt of Arsinoe's betrayal still hanging heavy in Mirabella's heart, with Katherine's sudden strength and Arsinoe's new found ability no one knows quite where they stand. But when the poisoned gifts arrive and the festivities begin only one thing is certain... no one is safe from the three deadly Queen's as they fight for the throne and for their lives.

This is one of those reviews where I keep it all quite vague as I don't want to give anything away. I love YA fiction but with it such a huge genre it can mean the stories become a bit predictable. However, One Dark Throne had me on the edge of my seat from start to finish, I didn't know what was coming next or how the story would unfold. If I'm honest I didn't know how Kendare was going to keep up the pace after Three Dark Crowns but holy moly on toast she did it! I couldn't put this book down, I NEEDED to know what was going to happen to the characters that have well and truly made their way into my heart and I must say I was not disappointed! 

When reviewing the first installment I wrote, "All three queens have their moments where they could do with a slap," and this book was no different! Kendare creates these characters that will have you wanting to give them a good shake and yet, by the end of the book you want to wrap them up in your arms and tell them everything is going to be okay. I found that with this book more than the last this was the case and I went on an emotional roller-coaster within the covers of One Dark Throne

Overall One Dark Throne is fast paced, unpredictable, exciting, heartbreaking and everything I hoped it would be. For those of you that adored Three Dark Crowns as much as I did you will fall in love with this book in less time than it takes you to make a cup of tea. The island of Fennbirn takes no prisoners and this book will leave you begging for more! If there is only one book you read this month can I recommend that it be this one... you wont regret it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment