Review: Dangerous Girls

DANGEROUS Girls
by Abigail Haas


Pages: 388 (paperback)
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Books
Publication Date: August 1st 2013 first published July 16th 2013)
ISBN: 9781471119149

Summary 

Elise is dead.
And someone must pay.

Anna, her boyfriend Tate, best friend Elise and a group of close friends set off on a debaucherous Spring Break trip to Aruba. But paradise soon turns into a living nightmare when Elise is brutally murdered.

Soon Anna finds herself trapped in a foreign country and fighting for her freedom. As she awaits the judge's decree, it becomes clear that everyone is questioning her innocence. To the rest of the world, Anna isn't just guilty, but dangerous. As the court case unfolds the truth is about to come out, and it's more shocking than you could ever imagine...

Review

Dangerous Girls is told from the point of view of Anna, as she relives the months leading up to her trail. A trail where she is accused of murdering her best friend, Elise. Unlike the rest of her friends, who also discovered Elise's body, Anna is the only one on trail. She's the only one kept incarcerated in a foreign country waiting to be sent to jail for the next twenty years for first degree murder. But here's the question. Did Anna kill Elise? And if not, who did?

I'm not entirely sure where to start. I'm still not 100% sure what actually happened or who killed Elise but it was one hell of a ride living through Anna's trail with her. This story has Abigail's quirky fingertips all over it and is a thrilling and impressive story of friendship, love, betrayal and the lengths some people will go through for those three things. It's completely mesmerising and Abby's writing is overwhelmingly alluring. I just want to keep reading her books forever!

Even though I did love this book I also struggled with it a little. I think the issue for me was that the whole reason I fell in love with Dangerous Boys (which I actually read first) was the dark seductive characters and the practically psychopathic story line that was all consuming and challenged my way of seeing human nature. With Dangerous Girls that character's didn't have that same edge for me, at least not until the very last chapter. Also still don't I haven't a clue what happened and it's been days since I finished this book!

I'm not saying I didn't enjoy this book because I did. It was exciting and the way Abigail writes is captivating from the very first page. I adore the way in which each chapter twitches between the past and the present revealing the story one clue at a time. I felt a whole array of emotions towards Anna while reading and it did pull me in. It's a great book. It just, for me, missed that seductive, dangerous quality of Dangerous Boys. 

Again, like my previous reviews for Abby's books I'm noting going into much detail as I don't want to give the game away. So that's all you're getting. Just know what it's well worth the read and will have you on the edge of your seats!  


 photo 45_zps08bddb02.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment