REVIEW: The White Princess

THE WHITE PRINCESS 

by Philippa Gregory


Pages: 527
Publisher: Simon & Schuster UK
Publication Date: 1st August 2013



The haunting story of the mother of the Tudors, Elizabeth of York, wife to Henry VII.

Beautiful eldest daughter of Edward IV and Elizabeth Woodville - the White Queen - the young princess Elizabeth faces a conflict of loyalties between the red rose and the white. Forced into marriage with Henry VII, she must reconcile her slowly growing love for him with her loyalty to the House of York, and choose between her mother's rebellion and her husband's tyranny. Then she has to meet the Pretender, whose claim denies the House of Tudor itself.


I stated reading this when it first came out in 2013 however, at the time I just could not get on with it. But recently I've been on a bit of a reading slump (hence the lack of reviews - SORRY!) and I thought I would give it another go. I adored the other books in this series and I don't know why I didn't get along with The White Princess to begin with because this time around I devoured it and I'm not completely in love with this book!

The White Princess begins just after the battle of Bosworth, where Henry Tudor won the crown of England from Richard the 3rd. The story is told from the perspective of Elizabeth of York, lover to Richard and future wife of Henry as she has to adapt to a new way of life at court, under a new king who killed the man she loves. Like all of Philippa's books this is rife with drama and excitement, that keeps you entertained from the moment you open the book. Elizabeth was loved by a nation but with a mother-in-law you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy, a king that finds it hard to trust and the legacy of her York name on the line, Elizabeth's journey to the throne is anything but easy.

I'm a big fan of Philippa's books as they paint a picture of the past with this magical flare that makes you feel like you are being transported back in time to the royal courts of centuries past. The character's in this instalment are engaging and draw you into the story within a couple of pages. I was obsessed with Richard III in the past books so I wasn't sure how I would feel about a post-Richard world but Elizabeth ad Henry's characters were intriguing and complex. Being able to read and see their relationship evolve from something quite toxic to where they are by the end was really interesting.

The story itself was exciting and follows a young girl as she has to learn to survive within a new royal family that doesn't trust her in a palace that used to be her home. It is full of betrayal and plots that will have you flipping through the pages to find out what happens next. I think the thing I like most about these books is that even if you know the history behind the stories, Philippa's rendition of them brings the characters to life - even if you do want to throttle some of them. 

Overall, this was an impressive extension to the Cousins War series by Philippa Gregory. It kept up with the other books and concluded this series with a story fit for a King. If you haven't read this series yet then I highly recommend it as it will send you back in time to a part of British history that I personally find truly magical. 




No comments:

Post a Comment